This program awards three-year fellowships to outstanding Stanford doctoral students engaged in interdisciplinary research. It is a competitive university-wide program overseen and administered by the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education. Examples of potential research include interdisciplinary initiatives in bio-x, biomedical research and biosciences, international studies, creativity and the arts, K-12 education and environment, energy and sustainability. Examples include:
- Interdisciplinary initiatives in bio-x, biomedical research and biosciences; international studies; creativity and the arts; K-12 education; and environment, energy, and sustainability
- Multidisciplinary inquiry within and between the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences
- Other emerging areas of interdisciplinary study.
Applications are submitted directly to the Vice Provost for Graduate Education.
- Annual stipend paid over 4 quarters for three years. The annual stipend amount for the 2017-18 year is $41,700 ($10,425 per quarter).
- In Year 3, a fund of $3000 ($750/quarter) will facilitate intellectual and professional development in interdisciplinary research.
- Fellows with TGR enrollment before year three will also receive the additional stipend of $750 per quarter to facilitate intellectual and professional development in interdisciplinary research.
- In years one and two, the SIGF Fellowship pays eight - ten unit tuition for Autumn, Winter and Spring Quarters, plus Summer tuition for three units.
- In year three, the SIGF Fellowship pays TGR tuition for four quarters.