- complement students' formal education with hands-on, experiential learning;
- provide knowledge on opportunities to maximize research impact;
- build a network of peers and partners; and
- provide exposure to career tracks outside academia.
Application period for Cohort 2023 is now closed.
- 2023 Preparatory Workshops in person(Zoom, if needed) on Wednesdays from 10:30-12:00pm PT:
Jan. 18, Feb. 1, Feb. 15, Mar. 15, Mar. 22 (11a-12pm final check-in), Apr. 12 and Apr. 26 (11a-12pm prep)
- DC Boot Camp: March 26-30, 2023 - in person unless travel regulations change
- Sacramento Boot Camp: May 4-5, 2023 - in person unless travel regulations change
D.C. Boot Camp
Turning environmental research into world-changing action requires intimate knowledge of how government works. As part of the Rising Environmental Leaders Program, the Stanford Woods Institute hosts graduate students and postdoctoral scholars for a Washington, D.C. Boot Camp. Participants in the one-week leadership program garner first-hand knowledge about national policy development, partnership-building and public service careers. They gain exposure to the realities of policy design and implementation and learn how to connect research to policy and people. Preference is given to scholars actively working on a Stanford Woods Institute-affiliated projects.
Sacramento Boot Camp
In 2017, the Stanford Woods Institute began offering a two-day Sacramento Boot Camp to program participants. This latest enhancement is designed to build upon the cohort's Washington, D.C. experience by introducing them to California's leading environmental actors as well as provide an insider's view of the policy-making process at the sub-national level.